The team of Rehband experts have compiled the most commonly asked questions we receive about our products. We hope to provide you insight into to the science of our medically classed products, which aim to help active people across the world enable their full potential.
• The anatomical design and high quality materials used in Rehband knee sleeves allow for an exceptional fit and a comfortable degree of compression.
• Compression can help reduce inflammation of the knee joint and alleviate mild overuse pains.
• Heat retention keeps muscles, connective tissues, and joints warm, to reduce injury.
• Allows you to stay warm between sets.
Proprioception (perception or awareness of the position and movement of the body)
• Increases the awareness of knee position, degree of flexion, and balance.
• 3mm is designed for endurance activities (i.e., running or cycling). It is thin and lightweight.
• 5mm is designed for a general “all purpose” use (i.e., CrossFit, light weightlifting).
• 7mm is designed for still-standing activities (i.e., heavy lifting, powerlifting, and Strongman activities).
• Founded in 1955, Rehband has over 60 years of experience in the industry.
• We use the highest quality neoprene available.
• Rehband is ethically manufactured in Europe by experienced professionals.
• The vast majority of our products meet all the requirements for an official medical device classification.
• Rehband invests highly in R&D, dedicated to continuous improvement.
• We have many IPF and IWF competition approved products.
• Official Bracing & Support partner of USA Weightlifting.
Rehband knee supports are scientifically proven to help muscles around the knee activate in a more precise and coordinated way. Over time, this results in a consistently higher quality of motion, even without the sleeves on, which helps muscle development. For sources and to learn more, visit: How Rehband Knee Sleeves support and protect your knees during a workout.
• Start with prevention. After a workout, never leave your wet sleeves in your gym bag or in your car. Be sure to let them completely air-dry before putting them away.
• Our products are safe in washing machines on warm, with mild detergent. We also recommend using a mesh bag to protect the product. Air-dry only.
• Try placing the sleeves in Ziploc bags and freezing overnight. This will help kill accumulated bacteria, which is often the source of persistent odor.
• We do not recommend boiling our products under any circumstances.
Mostly preferred by powerlifters, knee wraps are restrictive in nature and because they completely cover the patella and are worn tightly (thus pushing the kneecap into the thigh bone), they can increase friction between the patella and cartilage of the knee/cap. As you might expect, this can lead to injury and troublesome knee joint problems like arthritis.
Even if wearing sleeves, you still need to be diligent with regard to your mobility, refining the mechanics of your lifts, and taking care of the knee joint (and your body) as best you can. When you start to move heavy weight in high volume, it’s time to slap on the sleeves to help protect your knees from the stresses and strains that cleans, snatches, and squats generate.
With proper maintenance and care, Rehband sleeves should outlast other brands on the market. Sizing is an important factor—be sure to purchase the correct size by using the approved sizing chart. Some retailers will recommend “going a size down” when ordering. This will result in higher compression.
The negative aspect of ordering a size smaller than recommended by our chart is the tighter fit will also put greater stress on the material, which can result in ripping, tearing, or stretching. The most common reason for failure of Rehband knee sleeves is they are too tight for the user.
The most effective method for donning knee sleeves is to roll them on:
1) Turn the sleeve inside out.
2) With the “R” logo at the bottom/front, pull the sleeve over the foot and up just below the kneecap.
3) Roll the sleeve up from the bottom, and ensure the sleeve is centered on the knee.
4) Adjust the bottom of the sleeve so it lies flat on the leg.
Your sleeves may be too large or, surprisingly, too small. Please use our official sizing chart to determine if you have the correct size. Ultimately, our design is intended to offer a true anatomical fit for the vast majority of active people. That said, “different people are different,” meaning some legs are outside the standard shape we have used when developing our sizing recommendations and design. If you are one of these special cases, please ensure the sleeve is not cutting off circulation above or below the knee, the sleeve is being worn high enough, and the sleeve is positioned properly.
If the sleeve is too big, it will not have adequate compression to keep it in place. If the sleeve is too small, the tension around the quadriceps may force the sleeve down the leg. In most humans, the knee has a slight “hourglass” shape, with the quad tapering down to the knee, and the calf muscle tapering out below the knee. This might be exaggerated in extremely muscular people.
It might also be reduced in overweight people. In both situations, the most important area to ensure a tight/comfortable fit is at the top of the calf muscle. At the exact point where the calf muscle begins to taper in toward the knee, the bottom edge of the knee sleeve must fit tightly around the leg. This will ensure the sleeve does not slip below the belly of the calf muscle and it stays in place on the leg.
If the sleeve is too loose on the quad and rolls down, the sleeve may have been stretched, or the individual may have a limb that is beyond the extent of the sizing chart. Another size may fit better.
With regard to your condition, we highly recommend you consult a physician or physiotherapist before selecting a brace or support. Although we have a high level of clinical knowledge and utilize this in our designs, we feel strongly that providing clinical advice to our customers is not to their benefit. The best person to advise you is a certified clinician who has examined you and knows your case history. What we can offer as a starting point is a link to our online catalogue at www.rehband.com. Each product has suggested indications that may help you narrow down the options that might apply to your case. The product descriptions also include sizing details, technical specifications, and material information.
• 7051 is our classic 3-panel 7mm blue knee sleeve.
• 7084 is our updated 2-panel 7mm design, which does not have a seam behind the knee.
• Removing the seam limits bunching and improves comfort.
• The quality and compression remain high, and many people still live by the 7051, as it comes down to personal preference.
• 1054 articles are the newest 7mm knee sleeves, with a 4-panel design. These come in a variety of colors and are optimized for lifting mobility. 1054 is also seamless in the back.